Using a new phone to receive 2-Step Verification codes
What you’ll need
- A backup code handy
- Your new phone, which you’ve already signed in to
- A computer with a browser connected to the Internet
Step 1: Install Google Authenticator on your new phone
On your new phone, download and install the Google Authenticator app from the App Store.
Step 2: Change your 2-Step Verification settings
- From your computer, open your Google Account. Sign in with a backup code.
- Under “Security,” click Signing in to Google.
- Click 2-Step Verification. You might need to sign in again.
- Under “Voice or text message,” make sure your backup numbers are still correct.
- Under “Authenticator app,” click Change phone.
- Choose the type of phone you have.
- You’ll see a screen with a barcode. Stay on this screen.
Step 3: Verify your new phone
- On your new phone, open the Google Authenticator app.
- Tap Begin.
- Tap Scan a barcode.
- Use your phone to scan the barcode on your computer screen.
- If you can’t scan it, tap Can’t scan it. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- You’ll see a code on your phone. On your computer, enter the code and click Verify and Save.